Sunday, June 12, 2011

Comfort Food: Southern Summer BLT


Who doesn't love a classic Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato on a couple pieces of Whole Wheat Bread? I grew up making this for my father and acquired my own love for this classic along the way. This simple sandwich happens to be a staple in my household, especially in the summer! Recently I stocked up on tomatoes and bacon from the Nashville Farmers Market so having a southern BLT lunch seemed a no brainer on this hot afternoon.

Below I'm adding the simple recipe that my Tennessee Grandmother passed down to me. Nothing is as wonderful as a southern sandwich - I hope you enjoy :) 

Simple & Classic Southern Summer BLT

Makes one Sandwich

Ingredients:

  • 2 Slices Whole Wheat Bread, Toasted
  • 1-2 Lettuce Leaves (I love Romaine)
  • 1 Fresh Large Tomato (Cut into sandwich size slices)
  • 3-4 Slices of Fresh Thick-Cut Bacon
  • 1 Tbsp. Mayo (Dukes is hands down the best!)
Instructions:

            Most good southern ladies would cook their bacon in a frying pan but I love baking mine. To bake your bacon set the oven at 400 degrees. You will need one metal baking sheet, cover the bottom of the sheet with a layer of Aluminum foil, set one big metal cooling rack or two small ones side by side on top of the foil. Rinse bacon in cold water and lay in a single layer. Place in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Once the bacon is cooked and out of the oven cut the bacon in half cutting the length (makes the bacon easier to work with once your ready to assemble your sandwich) place the bacon on a plate layered with a paper towel to cool and drain.

           Toast bread and spread with Mayo.

           Assemble the sandwich. I like to start by adding 4-half slices of bacon, lettuce, and tomato to one slice of mayo toast then top it off with the other mayo toast. Serve with a side of Regular chips and some Sweet Tea or Lemonade. Enjoy :)

  


No comments:

Post a Comment