Thursday, July 14, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness

On July 4th I had the opportunity to help a family that ended up stranded in our neighborhood. They were stopping in from out of town, staying at a near by camp ground, and wanted to watch the fireworks. The camp ground wouldn't allow them to shoot off their own and they weren't military so that kept them from the local celebration so they traveled to the neighborhood that seemed to have the most. Not only was it my subdivision but my street.

In the middle of the festivities the keys to their vehicle ended up locked inside. This family of four needed help. I didn't do much, gave them addresses, let them borrow my phone and phonebook, then sat outside and waited for the locksmith to unlock their doors (allowing me the opportunity to talk, which I love to do).

It was about three or four hours before they were back on the road.

Today I went to check my mail. Inside my mail box was what looked like a card, I opened it in the middle of my driveway because I didn't recognize the return address. Inside was not only a card thanking me for my kindness but a letter. Here is what it said:

Dear Sweet Southern Girl-

        I just wanted to tell you again how much your help was appreciated the night of July 4th. Things worked out just fine with the rental car, (that thing just had way too many buttons, features and options for me!) I don't know but I think that it's kind of silly to put a lock button on the outside of the car!!

       You were so kind to stay with us and let us use your phone and phone book to contact the rental company. It is so nice to know that in this day and age that some people do truly care about others and are willing to go out of their was to help out when and where they can. Your kindness has not gone unnoticed even my boys commented on how kind you were. Thank you for showing them the kinder side of humanity. I try to instill in them the value of helping out others when they have the opportunity, and you were a shining example of that.

      I want you to know that you and your husband are in our prayers while he is protecting our country. Also if I can return the favor sometime please let me know.

Again thank you so very much!!

Denise

Oh the power of kind words. I will never forget her letter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment